The tax bill was signed by President Trump on Friday and is now law. In spite of many good individual features, including the reduction of the corporate tax rate from 35% to 21%, it has the overall negative effect of adding $1 trillion to the national debt over the next decade, and this is after allowing for new growth.
Every Republican Senator voted for this new law. That means every single one of them is responsible for increasing our debt by $1 trillion. This includes Nebraska Senator Deb Fischer, who is up for reelection in 2018. She needs to be chastised for voting for this atrocious law.
I am seriously thinking of entering the Republican Primary against her, if there is sufficient support for my candidacy. Here is a summary of my views on the most important issues. Roughly in order of importance:
- Debt. Now worse than ever with the new tax law, we will soon be back to trillion dollar annual deficits. The only real solution is to curtail the growth (no actual cuts needed!) of entitlement spending. Otherwise a new fiscal crisis will soon occur.
- Global Warming. The evidence for man-made global warming is overwhelming, including warmer and more acidic oceans, shrinking artic sea ice, and rising sea levels. The best solution is to impose a (refundable!) carbon tax to replace all sorts of ad hoc and arbitrary regulations.
- Economic growth. The U.S. is the most prosperous large country in the world and prosperity equates to economic growth. But our economy is now growing at a 3% annual clip and the new tax law is likely to overheat it and cause inflation to take off. This will force interest rates up prematurely.
- Trade Policy. Withdrawing from NAFTA would be a disaster for the whole country and especially Nebraska with its export based ag economy. It is China’s mercantilist policies, restricting imports from other countries, which need to be opposed.
- Immigration Reform. With a national unemployment rate of 4.1% (2.7% in Nebraska), a severe labor shortage is developing. The solution is to establish an adequate guest worker visa program so that employers can be assured of having the employees they need.
Conclusion. Senator Deb Fischer is simply unwilling to make the tough decisions necessary to shrink annual deficits and thereby control our burgeoning debt. I would be a sensible replacement for her. Will you support me if I run? Let me know at email@example.com.